I’m not big on resolutions, but I do believe the new year is an opportunity to look back and forward. Then it’s time to get onto the business of NOW.
So first, here’s my look back at what I wrote about my goals for 2014.
1. Establish myself as a best-selling author – I certainly gave it my best effort. I continued establishing social media contacts, and I joined the box set Heroes to Swoon For with ten other authors to make a pretty good stab at best-selling status.
3. Publish Odyssey to Myself – Another check off the list!
4. Work on new travel blog, P.C. Zick Travels – OK, so I didn’t work on this one, but I published the essay book!
5. Establish my editing and formatting business – I started off with a few jobs, but as the year progressed, my own writing and publishing took priority. I am starting off with a few jobs again this year, so contact me if you’re interested in talking about my services.
6. Start a new work in progress by the end of the year – I believe I accomplished this goal. I wrote my first romance, Behind the Altar, and published it in September. That novel went into the box set, Heroes to Swoon For. Then I started the next novel in that series, Behind the Bar. I put all of my Florida Fiction Series into a box set in November.
That brings me to 2015 and my new goals for the year.
- Continue to pursue my writing dreams – This means I continue writing, publishing, and interacting with colleagues and readers. I’ve been given a great gift, and I will honor it and continue toward success as both an author and an entrepreneur.
- Finish Behind the Bar – I hope to finish it in January and publish it by mid-year. I also plan to write the third book in the Behind the Love trilogy, Behind the Curtain. It would be nice to get it published by year’s end as well. I’m still participating in the Romance in a Month class, so that should keep me on track with this series.
- Continue to participate in box sets with fellow authors – I submitted Native Lands to the box set, At Odds with Destiny, with nine other authors. This should be released in March. I’m signed up with some other romance authors to write a steamy novella, The Hot Boys of Summer, about my beloved and sometimes beleaguered Pittsburgh Pirates. That will come out in June. I’m also participating in a Christmas box set with a pet theme. My novella will star an old and wise cat named Minty. And then if that’s not enough, last night I signed up to participate in a set about wine. Mine is called the Sins of Zin. Release date on this one will be early 2016.
- Finish a work in progress, The Learning Curve – I started this years ago, and it’s set on the banks of the Suwanee River so I’m thinking about changing the title to include the famous river. I look forward to getting back to this novel which will probably turn into a murder mystery–my first attempt at that genre.
- Continue to grow as a writer – This includes honing my craft, expanding my horizons by attempting different genres, and learning all I can about the art of writing compelling fiction.
- Assist my fellow Indie Authors, as well as those going the traditional route and those who are still trying to figure out which way to go – In 2014, I almost stopped doing Author Wednesday. But then I received such wonderful feedback from the authors I’ve featured, that I kept going, and I’m glad I did. It’s an easy way to give back and help others, and I’ve met some wonderful folks in doing so. I will also continue to write my reviews my way, with positive comments and feedback on the books I read.
- Read and then read some more – I have a full Kindle Fire and bookshelves of unread books. It’s one of the best ways to become a better writer.
- And finally, I will write, and then I will write some more – I have several novels started with first chapters. I really want to write one about four female friends in their fifties and how they’ve managed to stay friends through husbands, children, divorces, diseases, and deaths. It won’t always be pretty, but it will be real.
My personal goals are to maintain a healthy lifestyle, live with little impact upon the earth, and love others with grace and kindness. Wish me the best!
How about you? What are your goals for 2015? Do you set resolutions? Please leave me a comment – I always love to hear from you.
And thank you for following this blog. I’ve gained some new followers this year, so welcome aboard. I’m grateful for all your support.